Saturday, June 28, 2014

Brew #8: Happy Life Cream Ale


I've been wanting to do a summery lawn mower type thing for a little while.  This is what I decided on, based on BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops recipe (edited for 2.75 gallons into primary):

3 lbs. 2R/Pale
1 lb. flaked corn
.25 lb. minute rice
.7 oz. Tettnanger (3.9% AA) est. IBUs is 21ish?
US-05 dry (most of the whole smack pack)

Mashed for over 60 min.  Basically, what I did was I left it alone for 4 15-min. sessions and checked temp and stirred in between.  Tried my darnedest to keep it under 152dF. During mash.  Then I did a mash out at 170dF for 10 min.  Then I did a 60 min. boil.  Added hops and started timer as soon as it was boiling.

I had some issues hitting my numbers on brewday, but we'll see how it goes.

6/28: Pitched yeast.  OG is 1.043 (10.6 Brix).  I actually remembered to sparge this time.  My gravity was really high and my volume ended up being a lot less than expected after boil, so I added about a half  gallon of heated up water to get the correct volume.  The gravity I was going for was 1.040.  Oh well.

7/8: 5.4 Brix.  Moved fermenter away from vent that's pumping the AC to see if that will allow it to ferment some more.  A couple hours later, the krausen was almost gone.
7/9: 5.4 Brix. Took a thief sample and it was good.  Had a Belgian vibe.
7/10: 5.0 Brix (1.006) Should be about 4.9% ABV
7/13: Took out of fridge.
7/14: Bottled with 2.4 oz of priming sugar (2.4 vol.).  filled 26 12oz. brown bottles, so just short of 2.5 gallons.  Filled bottles right from primary.  Tried some in the process and it tasted a lot like Blue Moon.
7/17: Opened a bottle unchilled.  Carb and clarity was awesome.  Thin mouthfeel.  It has a bit of a wheat (same Blue Moon vibe) flavor initially, but that goes away immediately.  Just as crisp as it should be.  Fantastic.
7/25: Put the rest of the bottles in the fridge.
8/2: Drank the majority of this at a party at my parents' house.  It was completely overshadowed by my cider, but I was happy with it for what it was.  A touch on the skunky side.  Definitely ferment it colder if possible next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home