Thursday, June 5, 2014

Sourdough


On Sunday I got Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz for my birthday from my in-laws.  I am really excited to try doing some of the stuff in the book.  But one thing that sounded really easy that I could do with stuff I had on hand was making a sourdough starter.  So that's what I did on Sunday night.

I had a mason jar of washed WL051 yeast in my fridge from my last brew, so I decided to forgo the "wild" part of the title of the book and used that yeast.

6/1: Mixed 2 cups water, 2 cups flour, and washed yeast in a mixing bowl.  Poured into a quart mason jar and covered that with straining bag I was gonna use for dry hopping.
6/2: Saw some activity.
6/4: No activity.  Added a couple Tablespoons of flour.
6/5:  It's a bit runny, so I added about a half cup of flour.  Also put in about a teaspoon of sugar for the heck of it.  Covered it with a loose lid.  Moved it from the counter to the back of the stovetop.
6/6: Lots of bubbles and better consistency today.  Planning on making a basic sourdough bread with this tomorrow using This recipe.
6/7: Made recipe with some modifications per the reviews on th recipe.  Here's a picture of the result:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home