Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Brew #6: Kamra Pub Ale v1.0 (UK Style ESB)

I did some research on casking after having a beer on cask at New Holland.  Above is a picture of what I came up with.  It's what is called a "polypin" in the UK, and it's a cheap way to get a similar effect as casking.  Here is a link to the post on HBT where I got the idea from.

The name is a nod to both Wilco ("Kamera"), and to uptight Brits who think all beer should be on cask (CAMRA).  Also, I got a refractometer from my wife for my birthday.  So my gravity readings are in Brix.  Got 3 gallons of wort into my 12L fermenter, so I rigged a blow-off tube, just to be safe (ended up being unnecessary).

The beer that I had at NHBC seemed to have a pronounced corn flavor that was unnoticeable when I tried the same beer kegged.  So that's why I wanted to try corn in an ESB.  I'm pretty sure I went overboard on the wheat, but I'm interested to see what that does.  Also, I wanted to just use one hop for both bittering and aroma.  The only dual purpose British hop I could find was Challenger (described as "spicy"), so I went with that.  I was hoping that would give it a really pronounced almost-IPA-ish vibe, and I think it might.

Tasting notes: It has a strong apple-y banana aftertaste.  The wheat didn't come through in any way that I could notice.  Maybe no gelatin next time since wheat beers are by their nature hazy (maybe?).  I should do either more aroma hops or just do some kind of American late-addition hop next time.

Here was my 3 gal. BIAB recipe:

4.25 lbs Maris Otter (70%)
9 oz Torrified wheat (10%)
9 oz C60L (10%)
9 oz Flaked corn (10%)

1/2 oz Challenger (6.9% AA) at 60
1/2 oz Challenger at FO

Pitched S-04 dry (half smack pack) on 5/31.  Fermenting at room temp.

Pre-boil gravity: 1.041
OG: 1.051 (12.6 Brix)
Est. FG 1.012
Est. ABV: 5.13%
6/3: 1.014 adjusted gravity (7.2 Brix measured)
6/4: I can hear it bubbling as I am typing this, so I'm gonna wait on taking another gravity reading.
6/5: 1.014 (7.2 Brix) I guess this one's gonna come in at right around 4.9% ABV
6/6: Brought a half packet of "Knox Gelatine" and a half cup of water to a simmer to sanitize.  Put in fermenter before going to bed.  This is in place of isinglass which is traditionally used for clearing in this style of beer.
6/7: Primed with 1.4 oz of priming sugar and bottled.  Shooting for 1.7ish vols. of CO2.  Looked pretty clear except for what I assume is tiny granules of flaked corn?  I ended up getting 2.5 gallons out.
6/9: Super clear and a coppery-orange color.  There is what looks like pulp on the bottom.  Assuming that's the fining agent.
Also - today I realized that I didn't sparge this brew, or the last one either.  Gotta remember that for my next brew.
6/12: Opened one tonight after chilling in freezer for about 15 min.  Def. not done carbing, but flavor is interesting.  Whiskey is the first flavor I get.  DMS is the second, and the corn flavor I was going for is the third flavor.
6/17: put the polypin in the fridge.
6/18: Polypin is pretty much flat.  I added a crap-load of fuggles for fun, and that worked well for offsetting the sweet flavor.

6/26: Cellared the ten bottles I had left about a week ago after figuring the wheat was a fail.  Just poured one at cellar temp and had a two finger head very briefly.
7/24: Drank one of the three that were left at cellar temp, and I think the flavors are coming together.  Put the other two in the fridge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home