Monday, June 2, 2014

Brew #2: Sweet Cheeks Weak Mead


I actually took a lot of notes for my second brew.  I had no idea what mead tasted like, really.  Around the time I bottled, a friend summed it up when I told her I was making mead - "Um, isn't mead like really aweful?"  Pretty much.

Tasting notes: originally, I just wanted to see what honey tasted like with the sugar fermented out.  Never got the chance cuz I added a whole bunch of stuff in secondary.  A LOT of cinnamon, a little bit of tea.  I was aiming for still mead, which I got, but it just didn't work out.  Other than the added flavors, it seemed ethanolly.

Started it with 2 lbs. of honey and 2 gal. of water.

1/10: OG - 1.048
Yeast - safale s-04

1/11 added yeast nutrient (about 16 hrs. after pitching); smells like vinegar
1/12 Gravity at 1.040 and tastes delicious; slightly carbed.  Airlock went crazy when I agitated the must (cuz of carbonation.)
1/13 Added a Clementine, sanitized and quartered, for yeast energizing (citric acid).
- gravity about 9 hours later is 1.036
- can def notice the orange flavor
1/16 been agitating 2-3 times a day up until now.  Noticed that it has started bubbling a lot more just recently.  Leaving it alone (no agitation) for a couple days.
1/18 Gravity at 1.006.
-Steeped a Black Chai Spice Tea in sample for 5 minutes and it was a weird taste.  Added Splenda and it helped a little.
- Added Pectin Enzyme and agitated to mix.  Air lock freaked out like I've never seen before.
- Removed orange slices with sanitized spoon.
1/21 FG 1.000
- Racked to secondary
- added K Meta and K Sorbate.
1/29 added 3 cinnamon sticks and1 Rooibos tea bag.
- it's clear and somewhat bitter.  No sweetness.
2/3 took tea and sticks out. (5 days - prob way too long)
2/5 added can of Welches 100% white grape juice concentrate and about 10 oz of water.
2/7 bottled

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home